Vertaal

Tuesday 26 June 2012

Layout for Exodus

Go, and gather the elders of Israel together, and say unto them, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, appeared unto me, saying, I have surely visited you, and seen that which is done to you in Egypt:
It took me a long time to develop my ideas for this verse. How do I visualize 'elders' ? Or do I focus on the appearance in the burning bush? Or on the covenant God, all knowing and never forsaking?

I decided to more focus on : ...I have surely visited...and seen. Meaning: -seen their misery, -to take notice, -pay attention.
And then also try showing what has been done to the Israelites in Egypt + the context of the exodus out of Egypt to the Land flowing with milk and honey.

A few elements I wanted to include: bricks (slave labour of the Israelites), land of milk and honey, and possibly a map. After reading an article about using used teabags, I thought it would be nice if I could draw Egyptian images on tea bags and cut them into brick shapes.

These are the kind of words I scribble in my sketch book:
bricks, city, camels, desert, slaves, pyramids, papyrus, burning bush, stitch flames?, print map on fabric of papyrus?, paint left hand dark, print on papyrus?
Colours: clay, dark blue,gold, earthy, honey, cream.

I then went on exploring how to transfer maps onto fabric.

For this one I copied a map and flipped it, so I got a mirror image. I put the right side on top of the fabric, poured turpentine over it, and really pressed it down. The ink from my laser printer transferred onto the fabric quite well.

 For this one I just fed the fabric through the printer. A much easier, cleaner way :)

This is the final layout for my quilt. This time I don't have a clear design, but it's more a rough composition.
The problem I face with printing a map to A4 size is that my quilt size is bigger, so I have gaps which I need to 'fill'. How to solve that? I think I am going to use my inktense pencils to make some fabrics in blue (for the Egyptian side) and some creamy/yellow (for the top right Canaan side).

No comments:

Post a Comment