Vertaal

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Leviticus 3:16 start

It's time for the third one: Leviticus 3:16 And the priest shall burn them upon the altar: it is the food of the offering made by fire for a sweet savour: all the fat is the LORD'S.

Imagine making a quilt about an offering. and burning animals on an altar...Hence, I cannot skip this verse, so better start thinking about the chapter and its meaning.

This chapter deals with a so called Peace Offering and the rules and sacrifices to be made. In all cases, specific animal parts that are covered with fat are to be burnt on the altar. One of the chief characteristics of sacrificial offerings was their agreeable aroma.
We usually think of fat as something to get rid of. But to the people of ancient times, fat was associated with richness. 'all the fat is the LORD'S'

The offerings also tell us that the blood of animals cannot take away guilt, but only the sacrifice of Christ Himself: Ephesians 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.

I thought it very hard to capture everything in a quilt, since I don't like to work to realistic. So rather not have a picture of a priest offering...
  
This is the shape of the altar   
But maybe more looking at the shape of the altar and the pieces which were offered (kidneys). 
I jotted down a few words to get ideas: thanksgiving, peace, thanking for all goodness, prosperity, peace.
kidneys, nice smell, fat, smoke, burning.

I had this fabric, which I thought would work for coals, I tried to paint some piece orange for fire. But I am not happy with the look. I have been sketching a lot this time, trying to come up with a good colour scheme and this doesn't really fit it. What now?
Maybe just black and use that as a background. What about this?
I mixed some black and white and used bubble wrap to stamp onto the black. I might use this as the background fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment